CHS History Shoppe
and Memorabilia

Lincoln Timeline
This beautiful eight-panel brochure captures and juxtaposes
Colebrook historical milestones with those of our 16th President.

Available at the CHS History Shoppe (the Old Seymour Inn) for a donation of $5.00.

Replica Colebrook Buildings Series

Each miniature is cut from wood block in the shape of the building represented, and stands independently.  Each is 5" to 8" in width by 4" to 6" in height by 3/4" thick.  Available at the CHS History Shoppe for a $15.00 donation apiece.  Information next to each image printed on the back of the piece.

[The replicas, formerly offered by the Colebrook Women's Fellowship are now available exclusively through CHS]


The Colebrook Store 1812

Master Builder William Swift built the Colebrook Store in Federal style for the Rockwell brothers in 1812. Over its nearly 200 years existence as Connecticut’s oldest continuously operated store, it has served as social center, Town Clerk’s office, and United States Post Office. The store remains Colebrook’s center of conversation and convenience today.

The Colebrook Store is number 1 in a series offered for sale by the Colebrook Historical Society, 2004.


The Colebrook Congregational Church 1842

The present building, built on the plan of a church in Unionville, replaced the original structure of 1795, the year the Church was organized. Throughout the years the building has been the center of the religious, social and even political life of Colebrook. Its graceful lines epitomize the essence of the village.


The Colebrook Congregational Church is number 2 in a series offered for sale by the Colebrook Historical Society, 2004


The Colebrook Historical Society 1816

William Underwood, a prominent Colebrook citizen, commissioned master builder William Swift to design and construct this inn as a wedding present to his daughter, who ran it as The Seymour Inn for many years. It is the only home the Colebrook Historical Society has known since its inception in 1953 and stands as one of the key buildings in Colebrook Center.

The Colebrook Historical Society is number 3 in a series offered for sale by the Colebrook Historical Society, 2004.


The Colebrook Post Office

The building housing the Colebrook Post Office exemplifies the versatility of an historic building. Built in the early years of the nineteenth century, it was modified in 1938 into Colebrook’s first firehouse, and in 1995 converted into the Colebrook Post Office.

The Colebrook Post Office is number 4 in a series offered for sale by the Colebrook Historical Society, 2005.


The New Town Hall

Colebrook’s unique barn/Town Hall utilizes “The Gray Barn” built in 1842 for Reuben Rockwell.  The primary reason for the design was to preserve the village character within the Historic District. Completed in 2004, this building will be representative of Colebrook throughout the 21st century.

The New Town Hall is number 5 in a series offered for sale by the Colebrook Historical Society, 2005.


The Hale Barn

The Hale Barn, built by Martin North in 1797, is the last traditional dairy barn along the approaches to Colebrook Center. It was sold to the Colebrook Land Conservancy by the descendants of Mason Hale, the last person to operate the farm. It was renovated so as to preserve and perpetuate the atmosphere and aesthetics of this rural intersection.

The Hale Barn is number 6 in a series offered by the Colebrook Historical Society, 2005.


The Rock School

Originally situated in front of its namesake rock across the road, where it served as a schoolhouse from 1779 until 1911, it was moved to its present location in 1971.  To our knowledge, it is the only Colonial schoolhouse in Connecticut never to have had either electricity or running water.  It is an active museum, open to the public, and owned by the Colebrook Historical Society.  It is used as a learning tool by Colebrook school children.

The Rock School is number 7 in a series offered by The Colebrook Historical Society, 2007.



Welcome Home  l  Bob's "Bytes of History"  l  Meet CHS  l  Colebrook  l  Get in Touch  l  Map  l  Links  l  Feedback